tirsdag den 17. januar 2012

Challenge Week 3: Colour Block Mani

I must say I am surprising myself - I am now in week 3 of the 52 week challenge and I am actually keeping up. It is fun and educational for me since a lot of what is going on is totally new to me. Which is especially true with this challenge.

I was a little unsure how I should go about it since we've already established that my free hand skills leaves a lot to be desired. But thinking about it I decided that the best way to do this was to combine the colour blocking with a tape mani, though this would also be uncharted territory. So off I went and once more had to admit defeit.

Point in case:


What I really forgot was that the formula on these Cult Nails colours are a little special. They are very jelly like with the first coat and totally opaque in second. But that really got in the way of getting a good result - the pink and blue are nowhere near the opacity I was aiming at. Then take in to consideration that though having dapped the tape numerous times I was still able to peel layers of the yellow polish=epic fail.



And then to add insult to injury, I really wasn't succeeding in getting those lovely sharp lines going. The tape really didn't like to cooperate - and smudge city here we come...though there are some huge problems here I really like what I was aiming at and hopefully I will be able to do something more accomplished at a later date.

These were the colours that I used, they are all from Cult Nails and extremely limited - though Maria has been talking about having them all as part of future collections:

Feel Me Up - a butter cup yellow though on my fingers it looks like egg yolk.

Bad Devious Nature - a true pink that I really like.

Tied Up - Smurf Blue!! Beware of Stains.
I really enjoyed this and with some practice I think I could actually do this without total failure.

4 kommentarer:

  1. Oooh I like this. I'm going to have to try this design. And I giggled when you said it looks like egg yolk. =)

    SvarSlet
  2. Yeah I am pretty excited about the design myself, just not too satisfied with the execution :D

    SvarSlet
  3. I always have a hard time taping, too. But they look nice. I love the design.

    SvarSlet
  4. I'm glad, after reading blogs like yours, that I'm not the only one who had issues. LoL The colors are awesome, though. :)

    SvarSlet